The Community Foundation of Mississauga is committed to protecting the privacy of the personal information of its employees, members, donors and other stakeholders. The Foundation values the trust of those it deals with, and of the public, and recognizes that maintaining this trust requires transparency and accountability in how it treats the information that people choose to share.
During the course of various projects and activities, the Foundation frequently gathers and uses personal information. Anyone from whom the Foundation collects such information should expect that it will be carefully protected and that any use of or other dealing with this information is subject to consent. Privacy practices of the Foundation are designed to achieve this.
Defining personal information
Personal information is any information that can be used to distinguish, identify or contact a specific individual. This information can include an individual's opinions or beliefs, as well as facts about, or related to, the individual. Exceptions: business contact information and certain publicly available information, such as names, addresses and telephone numbers as published in telephone directories, are not considered personal information.
Where an individual uses his or her home contact information as business contact information as well, the Foundation considers that the contact information provided is business contact information, and is not therefore subject to protection as personal information.
· Personal information gathered by the Foundation is kept in confidence.
· Foundation personnel are authorized to access personal information based only on their need to deal with the information for the reason(s) for which it was obtained.
· Safeguards are in place to ensure that the information is not disclosed or shared more widely than is necessary to achieve the purpose for which it was gathered.
· The Foundation will take measures to ensure the integrity of this information is maintained and to prevent its being lost or destroyed.
· The Foundation will collect, use and disclose personal information only for purposes that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in light of the circumstances.
· The Foundation will routinely offer individuals it deals with the opportunity to opt not to have their information shared for purposes beyond those for which it was explicitly collected.
· The Foundation shall designate a senior staff member who shall be the Privacy Officer. The Privacy Officer is responsible for the development, monitoring and implementation of practices that ensure compliance with this policy and any relevant legislation.
Website and Electronic Commerce
· The Foundation will use password protocols and encryption software to protect personal and other information we receive when a product or service is requested and/or paid for online.
· Foundation software is routinely updated to maximize protection of such information.
The Foundation will regularly review its privacy practices for the various activities, and update this policy accordingly.
Attention: Privacy Officer or by calling 905-897-8880.
Information on privacy
Further information on privacy and your rights in regard to your personal information may be found on the website of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada at